Who doesn’t love an easy baked pasta? Al dente penne served warm out of the oven, smothered in gooey melted cheese with a perfectly crispy top…drool! Of course we tossed in some veggies and fresh herbs to add flavor and health it up, and if that weren’t enough, we offer a fabulous gluten free pasta option because we care so darn much. Just look at this incredible Baked Penne with Broccoli and Tomatoes!
(This post contains affiliate links off which I may make a commission. Your price remains the same)
Less Than 30 Minutes Start to Finish!
What we love about this pasta dish is that while you are waiting for pasta to boil, you can prepare and cook everything else. Then toss together in one pan and bake! It’s perfect for the two of you, but if you want to double or even triple the recipe, feel free. Just bake in a baking dish or larger pan. Your guests will love it!
When it Comes To Italian Food…
…add more or less of anything! Love basil or garlic? Add more. Can’t tolerate that much cheese? Add less. Pasta is incredibly easy to customize, so do it to your hearts content.
TIPS FOR COOKING PASTA!
When cooking pasta there are only a few things to remember:
1. Follow pasta box cooking instructions, they usually are right on.
2. Salt the water for flavor.
3. To keep pasta from sticking be sure to have lots of water in your pot, at least several inches above the pasta to allow room for expansion, and be sure to stir frequently.
5. Little known fact, if serving immediately, do not rinse! Just tap the colander on the sink to remove extra water.
The Recipe: Baked Penne with Broccoli and Tomatoes
A quick and easy to make Baked Penne with Broccoli and Tomatoes. If you are cooking for more than two, double the recipe and use a bigger pan or baking dish. Remember, when it comes to Italian food it's all up to personal taste! Love garlic? Add more! Prefer less basil? Cut back. Cheese it up, or don't. Whatever floats your boat.
- 6 oz penne pasta (about 2 cups)
- 2-3 tablespoons good quality olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and grated or minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets, cut fairly small
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 8-10 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- 1 1/4 cup Italian cheese blend (I used asiago, provolone and parmesan blend but you could use mozzarella and Fontina as as well)
- sea salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 425 degrees and place oven rack in center position. Set a medium sized pot of salted water on high heat for pasta. Start pasta when water boils and cook to package directions
Chop onion, tomatoes, basil and garlic, grate cheeses if needed
While pasta cooks, begin cooking veggies
Heat a medium sized oven safe pan on medium/high heat. When pan is hot add olive oil, allow to heat until hot but not smoking
Add onions, cooking for 2-3 minutes or until slightly soft, add garlic and cook for 60 more seconds
Add tomato paste, stir, mixing well for about a minute
Add broth, broccoli, and half the tomatoes (reserve the rest for garnish). Season generously with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Stir well and bring broth to a low simmer. Cook for 6 minutes
Add basil, half the cheese, and cooked, strained pasta. Stir well. Top with remainder of cheese
Place pan in oven for about 12 minutes. When cheese is melted and a little crispy, remove pan from the oven, top with remaining tomato and basil. Serve!
MAY I PLEASE ASK A FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.