Summer is winding down…but is it? Because it’s hot as blazes here in SoCal. We know everyone is starting to post pumpkin and apple recipes, but we are going to hang with berries for just a little longer. Berries make the summer heat bearable. Which brings us to a favorite, and very easy to make, summer dessert: Macerated Berries and Sour Whipped Cream!
(This post contains affiliate links off which I may make a commission. Your price remains the same.)
What are “Macerated” Berries?
Good question! Macerated berries are berries marinated in either a little juice and sugar or liqueur, until they become somewhat soft, giving up their own juices to make their own sweet syrup.
Stay beach ready year round. Eat clean and feel great with our healthy and convenient meals delivered to your doorstep. Save 60% off your first box today!
What is “Sour” Whipped Cream?
Wow, you ask a lot of questions. But we had six kids so we are used to that. To make “sour” whipped cream simply add sour cream to a basic homemade whipped cream recipe, giving it little tang! We love to use vanilla paste in our whipped cream, of course you may use extract if preferred. We love to serve this recipe as is or over scones…
What Are “Scones”?
Oh c’mon! You know what scones are, but you may not know where to get an amazing gluten free scone mix (<—right there) and you may not know this fabulous topping is great drizzled on vanilla cake, or poured over no churn vanilla bean ice cream as well.
The Recipe: Macerated Berries and Sour Whipped Cream
Tips and what you need: We love making whipped cream by hand using a whisk, but if your arms get too tired you can certainly use a hand mixer, or stand mixer (we promise not to call you a wimp). We also love vanilla paste in our whipped cream, but extract works too. If you want to serve over scones, we recommend this gluten free mix. It’s bomb.
A versatile fruit dessert with a tangy whipped cream that can also be used to lavish on ice cream or pour over cakes!
- 3 cups mixed berries if using strawberries, slice them
- 1/4 quarter cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 Tablespoons granulated organic sugar optional
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons organic powdered sugar if you prefer, use stevia drops to sweeten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- Place berries in a large bowl, remove 1/3 of the berries, place in a smaller bowl and add orange juice and sugar. Use a fork to smash berries and mix sugar
- Pour smashed berries over the berries in the big bowl and stir well. Let sit on the counter for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally and watch the magic happen
- Place cream, sour cream, sugar and vanilla into a mixing bowl and use a hand mixer or whisk to mix until cream thickens and peaks form
- Serve as is with whipped cream or use to top ice cream, scones or cake
MAY I PLEASE ASK A FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!