Let’s face it. If you are a part of a couple that lives and cooks together, you are definitely a grown up. And part of being a grown up is awakening to the conclusion that we should eat responsibly. But eating responsibly doesn’t mean giving up your favorite childhood foods…take for instance the hot dog. These Black Bean Chili Cheese Dogs with Carrot Fries are hot dogs for adults, made from 100% grass fed beef and I think you’ll agree they make a mouthwatering meal!
(This post contains affiliate links off which I may make a commission. Your price remains the same.)
When the Best of Childhood and ‘Adulting’ Collide
Childhood comfort food and grownup gourmet taste happily meet in the middle here. Delicious, grass fed beef hot dogs topped with a quick veggie filled black bean chili and served with a side of colorful carrot “fries”! Happiness abounds!
When we make this meal, we use hot dogs made with 100% grass fed beef. They taste great, have a fabulous texture and bring back memories of childhood swim parties and Fourth of July BBQs. But truth be told, the hot dogs we ate as kids never tasted this good!
LET’S TALK GRASS FED BEEF:
Choosing grass fed beef is better for the cows, better for you and better for the environment. Here’s how: better for the cows because they can roam free and eat grass, their natural food. Corn may make them big and fat, but it also makes them sick requiring them to be shot full of antibiotics which get passed in to you, and if you have read the latest Consumer Reports you know it’s even worse, hint: anti-fungals, anti-depressents, and hormones get passed on as well.
Grass fed beef has more healthy fat than corn fed beef, and grass fed is better for the environment because conventional farming creates an incredible amount of waste and pollution. Many stores are starting to sell grass fed beef including hot dogs! But if yours doesn’t, ButcherBox will deliver to your door!
We here at Cook with Me Darling always try to offer easy meals with a gourmet touch. This chili is that touch. Made in about 20 minutes and loaded with veggies this chili adds just the right amount of heat and glamour to our dogs!
The Carrot ‘Fries’:
Potatoes aren’t the only vegetable that tastes great roasted until crispy. We think roasted carrots taste pretty much like candy. Rainbow carrots are are a great option, but when they aren’t available straight up orange carrots work beautifully. Of course if you prefer a side of potatoes, you can always make our crispy roasted potatoes (<—recipe) or roasted sweet potatoes!
Divvy Up The Jobs and Make This Meal a Cinch!
Making this meal alone is no biggy, but split the jobs and it’s even easier. One of you take care of the carrots while the other handles the chili and hot dogs and life will be as beautiful as your meal.
The Recipe: Black Bean Chili Cheese Dogs with Carrots “Fries”
Childhood comfort food and grown up gourmet taste come together to make an easy meal you will want to serve at every backyard party or BBQ!
- 1 pound carrots peeled and cut into 3" pieces (I used rainbow carrots and reserve one large carrot for chili)
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 4 grass fed beef hot dogs
- 4 buns I use gluten free
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1/3 cup onions diced
- 1/3 cup carrots diced
- 1/3 cup celery diced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- Chili spice blend: 2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 3/4 teaspoon granulated garlic (mixed together)
- 1 chipotle chili in gluten-free adobo these come in can and are easily found in most grocery stores
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- chives chopped for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place oven rack in upper third of oven. Place parchment paper on rimmed cookie sheet and set aside. Prep all ingredients.
- Place prepped carrots on parchment covered cookie sheet and drizzle with enough olive oil that when tossed all carrots are glistening with oil. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper, toss again. Place in oven and cook for 40 minutes.
- Place a medium size sauce pot on medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil. When oil is hot add the diced onions, carrots, and celery. Season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until veggies start to soften, 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, spices, and 1 chile in adobo (or less if you are sensitive to heat) and cook for about 1 minute, stirring well. Add the black beans, tomatoes, and ⅓ cup water.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 4-5 minutes.
- If grilling on BBQ or grill pan, heat hot dogs for five minutes, turning until grill marks are established and hot dogs are warm.
- Place hot dogs in buns, top with plenty of that chili and cheese, add carrots and garnish with chives.
MAY I PLEASE ASK A FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!