A few years ago we took a little trip to Martha’s Vineyard and ate crab cakes to our heart’s content. After coming home, we made our own crab cakes and every spring/summer we revisit the recipe and reminisce about our amazing vacation. For us, food often sparks a travel memory, and there aren’t too many food memories better than this Crab Cake and Mixed Berry Salad Dinner Board!
(This post contains affiliate links off which I may make a commission. Your price remains the same.)
The Crab Cakes… Don’t Be Intimidated:
Really, don’t be. Crab cakes are super easy to make and when cooked until ‘crispy on the outside, tender on the inside’ they are perfection!
Love beautiful, healthy meals like this? Choose from 18 healthy & delicious recipes a week from Sun Basket! Save $45 if you order today!
The Salad and That Dressing!
Baby greens, fresh seasonal berries, caramelized pecans and some soft feta make this salad lovely, but add the dressing and it’s downright exquisite!
The strawberry vinaigrette is made with heart healthy avocado oil, fresh strawberries and white balsamic. It’s a creamy, slightly sweet dressing with a gorgeous bright pink color. If you have never used white balsamic before, I have a recommendation, we love this white balsamic vinegar, but this one comes in a close second.
The Whole Shebang:
Truly a gorgeous, shareable spring/summer meal! If you want to use gluten free bread crumbs I recommend Ian’s Panko.
The Recipe: Crab Cake and Mixed Berry Salad Dinner Board!
What you need: a good quality avocado oil and a blender. This is our favorite white balsamic, but we like this one too. For getting these crab cakes crispy I recommend using a cast iron pan. And I always recommend a good sea salt, I buy the tub If you want to use gluten free bread crumbs I recommend Ian’s Panko.
Crab Cake and Mixed Berry Salad Dinner Board!
Yield 2 servings
A beautiful spring/summer dinner menu!
3 cups baby greens
1/3 cup each: raspberries, blackberries, blueberries and sliced strawberries
1/4 cup caramelized nuts (any kind)
handful feta cheese
1/2 cup avocado oil (olive oil works too but I prefer the milder flavor of avocado for this recipe)
3 fresh ripe strawberries
2 teaspoons honey
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon white balsamic vinrgar
For crab cakes:
8oz lump crab meat, excess water pressed out with paper towels
2 tablespoons good quality mayonnaise
1 tablespoon chives (half reserved for garnish)
1 tablespoon parsley (half reserved for garnish)
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs, separated
sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
olive oil, butter or ghee for pan
1 lemon quartered
For dressing and salad:
Place all dressing ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth, set aside
Place greens, berries, nuts and feta on a platter, set aside
For crab cakes:
- Remove crab meat from container, place between paper towels and press until all excess water is removed
- In a large bowl mix crab meat, mayo, 2 rounded tablespoons bread crumbs (reserving the rest for later), 1/2 Tablespoon chives and parsley, a generous pinch of sea salt, and a few turns freshly ground black pepper until well combined. Form into 4 discs with hands and set on a dish
- Whisk eggs in a shallow bowl, place remaining breadcrumbs in a separate shallow bowl
- Gently pick up crab cakes one at a time. Coat in egg and then dredge in panko breadcrumbs. If cake loses it's shape, no worries, gently press back into shape and set on a dish.
- Heat cast iron skillet on medium/high heat for two minutes. Add enough butter, ghee or olive oil so bottom of pan is nicely coated. When oil is hot but not smoking add crab cakes to pan, cooking until golden and crispy, turn. Lower heat if necessary. Cook second side until golden (usually 3-4 minutes a side).
- Give the dressing another blend, dress salad and toss. Store extra dressing in the fridge for up to five days. Place crab cakes on platter, garnish with remaining parsley, chives and lemon quarters. Serve.
MAY I PLEASE ASK A FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!