Living next door to a food blogger has it’s benefits. This time the benefit was Lemon Blueberry Coconut Cupcakes. After photographing this recipe I brought the cupcakes to my neighbor. He made quick work of these tasty little desserts and then texted me this “In the top three desserts I have ever tasted!” Not to sound braggadocious but I must say, they are pretty darned delicious!
(This post contains affiliate links off which I may make a commission. Your price remains the same.)
Baking together on the weekend is relaxing and fun. Especially when that time spent together in the kitchen results in such a lovely, light, fragrant treat! Of course you could pack them up in a picnic basket and make a day of it at the park. Or better yet, a weekend in Santa Barbara (yes I am projecting my dreams onto you)
Get $35 off Lean & Clean meals from Sun Basket!
So Much Flavor…Fortunately only 10 Cupcakes:
When it comes to desserts for couples, we can get into a little trouble. Making 24 cupcakes means a lot of waste, or a lot of overeating. But you can manage five cupcakes each, right? Light, lemony, teeming with blueberries and topped with lemon buttercream frosting and coconut laced with lemon zest. Five cupcakes each sounds reasonable now, doesn’t it?
So simple! After frosting with that lemony butter cream, simply sprinkle with sweetened shredded coconut tossed with lemon zest. Yup, that’s it. And it’s glorious!
The Recipe: Lemon Blueberry Coconut Cupcakes (Gluten Free Option)
Tips and what you’ll need: this recipe makes 10-12 cupcakes. Fresh blueberries are preferred but in a pinch you can use frozen (thaw first!) You will need a cupcake tin, cupcake liners, and a microplane for the lemon zest. As always I prefer vanilla paste over extract. If you want to make these gluten free, I do, and I recommend Jovial Gluten Free Baking Flour
Delicious, light, lemony cupcakes topped with lemon buttercream and coconut
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour I offer a delicious gluten free option above
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup soft butter 1stick room temp
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil or baking oil of your choice
- zest of of two lemons
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- 3 large eggs room temp
- 2/3 cup cultured buttermilk room temp
- 3/4 cups fresh blueberries rinsed, dried and stems removed (plus a few more for the top of cupcakes)
- 1/4 cup room temp butter
- zest of one lemon
- 1 1/2-2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- tiny pinch sea salt
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350, place oven rack in center position, place cupcake liners into cupcake pan and spray with organic cooking spray. Set aside
- Place flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and set aside
- Use a microplane to zest lemons, scraping the skin of the lemon until the white is exposed and then moving to a new area
- Use a mixer to beat together butter, sugar, coconut oil and lemon zest until smooth
- Add vanilla paste or extract, eggs (one at a time) mixing until incorporated
- Add buttermilk and flour alternately and mix until smooth
- Gently stir in blueberries by hand
- Spoon into cupcake liners (3/4 full), tap pan on counter to take out any bubbles
- Bake for 25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean
- Allow to cool
- Beat together soft butter, lemon zest, sea salt, and lemon juice until smooth
- Toss coconut with lemon zest
- Frost cupcakes and then sprinkle with coconut/zest mixture
MAY I PLEASE ASK A FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!