You may have noticed we here at Cook with Me Darling are having a love affair with the ‘board meal’. Of course you could serve this stunning meal on plates, but we recommend simply grabbing two forks and eating off the board. Perfect for couples that don’t mind a little sharing (and less dishes!). This Moroccan Salmon and Couscous with Roasted Carrots is the perfect example of how to create a gorgeous board meal that is healthy and delicious!
(This post contains affiliate links off which I may make a commission. Your price remains the same.)
This tender salmon is made on the cooktop and finished in the oven. Simply brush lightly with olive oil, season with a traditional Moroccan spice blend called ‘ras el hanout’, a little powdered garlic, sea salt and black pepper and then cook. Yes, it’s that simple.
Love my board? Shop House & Home Top Picks at Anthropologie.com.!
Couscous is magic. It’s even easier to cook than rice. Simply bring broth to a simmer, add the couscous, cover and take off heat. Ten minutes later you lift the lid and voila! It’s ready. Leave it plain and it’s delicious, but for this meal we add dried cranberries, parsley and pine nuts!
Those Roasted Carrots Though…
If I could type three heart eyed emojis on my computer, I would. These roasted carrots may be our favorite thing on the platter! Roasted carrots are like candy, so sweet, and those caramelized edges are just heavenly. You can use rainbow carrots in this recipe when they are available, but your standard orange carrot works great too.
Just the Two of You, or Make it a Party!
This recipe is for couples of course, but it works just as well for dinner parties. Just use a bigger platter, or several platters and your guests will be very happy, and probably pretty impressed as well!
Love Easy, Healthy Meals Like This One? Choose from 18 healthy & delicious recipes a week from Sun Basket! Save $45 if you order today!
The Recipe: Moroccan Salmon and Couscous with Roasted Carrots!
Tips and what you need: You will need the Middle Eastern Spice blend “Ras el Hanout” . If your grocery store doesn’t carry it, you can have it delivered to your door. You will also need and oven safe grill pan, rimmed cookie sheet and unbleached parchment paper.
A delicious, healthy, flavorful Moroccan Salmon with sides!
- 12 carrots peeled and cut into 3" pieces (If tops of carrots are thick cut them in half lengthwise as well)
- 1/4 cup olive oil separated
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 shallot peeled and diced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup Morrocan couscous
- 1/4 cup cranberries
- 2 Tablespoons parsley divided
- 2 Tablespoons toasted pine nuts or pistachios
- 2 6 oz salmon fillets
- ras el hanout
- powered garlic
- Preheat oven to 425 and place one oven rack in upper third of oven and another in lower third. Place parchment on rimmed cookie sheet.
- Prep carrots and place them on parchment covered cookie sheet
- Drizzle with a tablespoon or so of olive oil and toss, sprinkle with sea salt and pepper, toss again
- Place in oven on upper rack and cook for about 35-40 minutes or until carrots are caramelized and edges are browned
- Place a small pot on medium heat, add a tablespoon of olive oil and add shallots
- Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently
- Add chicken stock to pot, turn up heat and bring to a boil
- Add couscous and turn off heat, place lid on pot and leave alone for at least ten minutes
- Pat salmon dry with paper towel, brush lightly with olive oil and season to your liking with sea salt, pepper, garlic powder and ras el hanout
- Place an oven safe grill pan on medium high heat for two minutes, add enough olive oil to coat bottom of pan
- Add salmon to hot pan skin side down and sear for 3-4 minutes or until salmon is golden
- Gently turn fish over and place pan in the oven on the lower rack, cooking for 6-8 minutes
- Remove lid from couscous, sprinkle with a pinch or two of sea salt and a few turns of freshly ground pepper, add cranberries, 1 tablespoon parsley, pine nuts, toss with a fork to mix
- When salmon and carrots are done, place all items on a platter, garnish with remaining parsley and serve!
MAY I PLEASE ASK A FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!