Before the cold weather melts into spring we wanted to give you one last cozy, comfort meal the two of you will love to prepare, cook, and share together: Creamy Carrot Tomato Soup with Sweet and Savory Cheesy Bread!
(This post contains affiliate links off which I may make a commission. Your price remains the same)
The Creamy Carrot Soup:
Fresh tomatoes, sweet carrots and onions all simmered together and blended with aromatic herbs and spices make this soup a little bit of heaven!
Sweet and savory, warm and gooey…it doesn’t get better than this simple to put together bread. We use a gluten free mini sourdough loaf, cut it in half, and toast in the oven. Then spread on that sweet fig spread, top with fontina or brie, sprinkle with walnuts and pop back in the oven until cheese is melted into blissful perfection.
Even though this is a somewhat casual comfort food meal, I say pull out the candles, dim the lights and cozy up. The dishes can wait…
The Recipe: Creamy Carrot Tomato Soup with Sweet and Savory Cheesy Bread
A made from scratch tomato soup with a side of sweet and savory cheesy bread. Comfort food at it's finest!
- 4 medium carrots peeled and sliced 1/4" thick
- 2 1/2 pound fresh tomatoes
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 2 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons cream or half and half
- Rind of parmesan cheese optional but encouraged
- 1 teaspoon herbs de Provence
- 1/8 teaspoon cayene pepper
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- olive oil
- 1 small loaf sour dough or favorite artisan bread we use a GF sourdough
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup or so fig spread
- 3 ounces fontina or brie cheese
- 2 Tablespoons walnuts chopped
- Chives for garnish
- Place sliced carrots, 1 T butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil in large stock pot and sauté on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add chopped onions and another tablespoon olive oil and sauté for five more minutes. Vegetables should now be soft.
- Add minced garlic, honey, Herbs de Provence and tomatoes.
- Cut the rind off a Parmesan wedge, place rind in center of soup mixture. The rind will not dissolve and will be removed later.
- Cover and allow to simmer for 25 minutes.
- Remove rind with a large spoon and discard.
- Place tomato carrot mixture in blender or use a hand blender to blend till smooth.
- Place a screen colander over large bowl.
- Using a soup ladle scoop three ladlefuls of soup into screen colander, then use the back of the ladle to push soup through the screen, straining out all the skin and seeds. Do not skip this step!
- Return strained soup to pot, add cream, cayenne pepper and remaining butter, reheat.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve: pour into bowls and top with Parmesan and chives if desired
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place rack in upper third of oven2. Slice bread in half and place in oven to toast for 5-6 minutes3. Remove bread, spread with butter, then fig spread. Top with cheese slices and walnuts4. Place back in oven, cook until cheese is melted5. Garnish with chives, if desired, and serve with soup!
MAY I PLEASE ASK A FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.