It’s time to make sweets for your sweet. Valentine’s Day is right around the corner. And nothing says ‘love’ like these sweet Raspberry Lemon Hand Pies for Two!
This post contains affiliate links off which I may make a commission. Your price remains the same)
Sweets for Your Sweet!
Here at Cook With Me Darling we encourage couples to cook together. Not only is it nice to split the tasks but preparing meals and desserts together allows time to talk about your day, work together on something special and then enjoy the delicious rewards! And while these Raspberry Hand Pies would certainly be fun to make as a couple, it would also be nice to surprise your better half with them. A little surprise sweet for your sweet!
The Crust, Filling and Glaze:
To keep the work to a minimum, I use an All Butter Gluten Free Crust from Whole Foods Market for this recipe. It’s super soft, like homemade, and of course it’s all butter so no artificial fats. Plus it’s super flaky and light. After rolling the dough I fill each heart with a spoon full of crushed raspberries mixed lemon juice and organic sugar, then use a fork to press and seal the edges of each little pie. While these delectable little pies bake, I whisk together organic powdered sugar, lemon juice and zest to form a sweet tangy glaze! So quick and easy and the result literally melts in your mouth!
A Special Offer for Couples!
Learn to cook gourmet meals and get $35 off Sun Basket meal delivery!
The Recipe: Raspberry-Lemon Hand Pies for Two!
Tips and what you need: the crust makes a big difference! I use a gluten free ‘all butter’ crust from Whole Foods. You will need a heart shaped cookie cutter (at least 3″ wide), a microplane for zesting citrus and a rolling pin.
A delicious, simple hand pie made with fresh fruit and store bought crust! Depending on crust and cookie cutter size, you can make 4-6 pies
- 1 9" store bought frozen pie crust thawed (I use gluten free all butter crust from Whole Foods)
- 3/4 cup raspberries
- zest of 1/2 a lemon juice of whole large lemon
- 2 Tablespoons organic granulated sugar plus a little more for dusting
- 1 tablespoon milk cream or egg white (for brushing pastry)
- 3/4 cup organic powdered sugar
- Allow pie crust to thaw and come to room temp
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place oven rack in center position
- Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside
- Use a microplane to zest 1/2 a lemon, then juice the whole lemon, set aside
- Place raspberries in a bowl with 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon lemon juice, smash berries with a fork
- Dust counter well with flour and turn thawed pie crust out on counter and roll with a rolling pin to about 1/8" thick. If crust doesn't come out easily, don't panic, just form it into a ball and roll out, dusting with flour as needed (the GF all butter crust I use is very soft and I have to do this every time)
- Use a 3" heart cookie cutter to cut 8 heart shapes, reforming and rolling dough if needed (depending on dough and size of cookie cutter you may be able to cut more for additional pies )
- Use a spoon to place raspberry filling (about a tablespoon) into center of four hearts
- Place the remaining hearts on top and use a fork to gently press edges sealed
- Place hearts on parchment covered cookie sheet, brush with milk, cream or whisked egg white, then sprinkle with more organic granulated sugar
- Place in oven and bake for about 18-20 minutes (or until dough is cooked and slightly golden)
- Place powdered sugar in a small bowl
- Add 1 Tablespoon lemon juice and zest to bowl, whisk until smooth (if needed add more lemon juice literally a drop or two at a time until glaze is pourable but not too thin)
- Spoon glaze unto warm pies and use back of spoon to spread to edges
- Serve warm or cool!
MAY I PLEASE ASK A FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!