Coupling. It has it’s challenges. Sometimes we just don’t see eye to eye on everything, even dinner. I always want greens, he always wants meat. But we both want delicious and that’s where this Southwestern Chicken Salad with Lime Vinaigrette comes in! It’s the best of both worlds and happens to be gorgeous, don’t you think?
(This post contains affiliate links. I may make a commission off sales while your price remains the same.)
What’s In It?
All good things of course. Crunchy romaine, a variety of veggies, black beans, fresh herbs, pepitas, organic chicken and avocado, finished off with a tasty lime vinaigrette that you can whisk together in a flash!
Divvy Up The Jobs To Make This Meal in Minutes!
Hopefully your supermarket sells chicken cutlets, if not one of you will have to make them. Don’t worry, it’s easy and I explain it all in the recipe. If you have to make them, one of you will take care of that and cooking the chicken, while the other makes the salad and dressing and prepares the fixings. A healthy, delicious dinner in less than 20 minutes!
The Recipe: Southwestern Chicken Salad with Lime Vinaigrette!
A delicious complete meal salad for two. If you have time, I recommend brining the chicken in salt water for 30 minutes before cooking as this makes the most tender chicken breasts. But if you are in a hurry, you can skip it.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 chicken cutlets or 1 chicken breast made into two cutlets (instructions below)
- 1/2 head of romaine lettuce chopped
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1/3 cup black beans
- 1 persian cuke diced
- 1/3 cup roasted salted pepitas (pumpkin seeds
- 1 head of corn peeled and corn shaved off cob
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 of a ripe avocado peeled and sliced
- 6 sprigs cilantro
- sea salt pepper to taste
- If you want your chicken breasts super moist and tender, brine them for 30 minutes first: see directions for making cutlets below, then pour water into a bowl and add 1/3 cup sea salt or kosher salt. Leave cutlets in water for thirty minutes, then pat dry and continue with directions below.
- Make dressing by placing all ingredients in a small bowl and whisking until emulsified
- Place chicken breast flat on a cutting board. Slice the breast in half (so it is half as thick as it was but just as wide and long) Place each half between two pieces of parchment paper and fold the edges of paper to prevent splattering. You can use plastic wrap as well but I just hate wasting plastic! Pound with a rolling pin until breast is about a 1/2 inch thick. Now you have two cutlets! Sprinkle both sides of chicken with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Wash, dry and chop romaine, place on a platter and add tomatoes, cucumbers, pepitas and black beans, set aside
- Shave corn off cob using knife
- Place a medium sized skillet on high heat
- When skillet is hot add 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Turn heat down to medium heat and add chicken cutlets to pan
- Cook each side for 4 minutes, remove from pan and allow to rest
- Add a little more olive oil to pan if needed and add corn to pan
- Cook for 3-4 minutes, moving corn around with spatula frequently
- Add chili powder and a little sea salt and stir corn some more, remove from heat
- Peel and slice avocado
- Add corn to salad, toss salad with dressing, plate
- Slice chicken on the diagonal and place on top of each salad
- Add slices of avocado on top of chicken and garnish each salad with a few sprigs of cilantro, serve
Something fun for couples who love to cook!
May I Please Ask a Favor?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.