A sweet little cake for your sweet! Special occasions deserve a special little cake. But as you know when you are a cooking for two, making a cake means a lot of overeating, or waste, or giving cake away. So I offer you this Mini Vanilla Buttermilk Cake with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting. It makes for just the right amount of overeating!
(This post contains affiliate links. I may make a commission off sales, your price stays the same)
This sweet triple layer cake is a traditional vanilla cake made with buttermilk to keep it extra moist. We use 5″ cake pans to achieve the ‘mininess’ and in between the layers that beautiful pink buttercream frosting does it’s thang.
I use a traditional buttercream recipe with freshly pureed strawberries added for the lovely naturally pink color and of course, strawberry flavor! The thing about buttercream is that it can be a little slippery, and this cake is kind of tall so I use a wooden skewer poked right through the center to keep those layers from sliding around.
This Cake is Semi Naked:
I do love a naked cake but for this one I prefer semi naked. The frosting recipe can actually cover the entire cake, so you can choose: completely frosted, naked (sides bare) or semi-naked (sides frosted but scraped off), it’s totally up to you. I love to use flowers from my garden to decorate the tops of cakes, but you could also use a few strawberries.
The Recipe: Mini Vanilla Buttermilk Layer Cake with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
A mini triple layer vanilla cake with strawberry buttercream frosting. This cake makes for just the right amount of over eating!
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup soft butter (1 stick) room temp
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil or baking oil of your choice
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- 3 eggs room temp
- 2/3 cup cultured buttermilk room temp
- 1- 7 " skewer to hold the cake in place
- 3 Tablespoons soft butter
- 3 strawberries pureed
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- Preheat oven to 350, place oven rack in center position, Use a paper towel to wipe the bottom and sides of mini cake pans with butter then lightly coat with flour
- Place flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and set aside
- Use a mixer to beat together butter, sugar, and coconut oil
- Add vanilla paste or extract, eggs (one at a time) mixing until incorporated
- Add buttermilk and flour alternately and mix until smooth
- Pour batter as evenly as you can into the three prepared pans
- Tap pans on counter to take out any bubbles
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean
- Allow to cool then remove cakes from pans before frosting
- Place soft butter in a large bowl
- Mash strawberries and lemon juice together with a fork
- Add pureed strawberries, vanilla and powdered sugar to bowl with butter and mix on medium speed until well incorporated. If frosting is too thin add a little more powdered sugar.
- Place first cake on a plate, frost the top, add second cake and frost the top, add third layer inserting a skewer right done the center from top to bottom to secure the cake. Frost the top. Use what iceing is left to frost the sides. If you want the cake 'semi naked' use you spatula to scrape off some of the frosting on the sides exposing a bit of the cake.
- If topping the cake with flowers, place a some circle of parchment paper or wax paper on cake and place flowers on top of that.
May I Please Ask a Favor?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.