Don’t you hate it when you make a cake for a party and come home with half the cake, and the next day while your husband is at work you eat the other half, so you have to bake another cake and eat half of it before he gets home? Well that won’t happen with this Triple Layer Mini Vanilla Cake for Two. It’s just the right amount of cake!
(This post contains affiliate links off which I may make a commission. Your price remains the same)
The Cake, The Icing, The Filling, The Toppings…it’s all good!
This moist little vanilla cake is made with buttermilk, giving it a rich full flavor and body, and the vanilla cream cheese frosting is so amazing it’s hard not to eat most of it straight from the bowl. I like to keep the cake ‘semi-naked’ by scraping the icing off the sides a bit. Sometimes I frost all three layers and leave it at that. Other times I frost them and then spread raspberry jam between the layers for a little added flavor and color. Finally, I top with as many berries as I can fit on a tiny cake!
The beautiful cake stand in this post is from Anthropologie! Shop House & Home Top Picks at Anthropologie.com.
To Make This Cake Gluten Free:
Not all gluten free flours are created equal. I recommend Jovial Gluten Free Pastry Flour for GF baking!
The Recipe: Triple Layer Mini Vanilla Cake for Two!
Triple Layer Mini Vanilla Cake for Two!
Yield 2-4 servings
A sweet little vanilla cake with cream cheese frosting!
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour (see my recommendation for gluten free flour above)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup soft butter (1stick) room temp
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil (or baking oil of your choice)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- 3 eggs, room temp
- 2/3 cup cultured buttermilk (room temp)
- 1- 7" skewer to hold the cake in place
The Cream Cheese Frosting:
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter, room temperature and soft
4 oz cream cheese, room temp
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla paste (or extract)
raspberry jam if you want another layer of color and sweetness between cakes!
an assortment of berries for topping
Preheat oven to 350, place oven rack in center position, Use a paper towel to wipe the bottom and sides of mini cake pans with butter then lightly coat with flour
Place flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and set aside
Use a mixer to beat together butter, sugar, and coconut oil
Add vanilla paste or extract, eggs (one at a time) mixing until incorporated
Add buttermilk and flour alternately and mix until smooth
Pour batter as evenly as you can into the three prepared pans
Tap pans on counter to take out any bubbles
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean
Allow to cool then remove cakes from pans before frosting
- Place butter, cream cheese, vanilla paste or extract into a bowl and mix on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add powdered sugar and mix until well incorporated. Add buttermilk if needed.
- To get the "semi naked" look, I frost the first layer lightly, adding a little more frosting around the edges of cake. Then I place the second cake layer and repeat. Last I place the top layer on, and push a skewer right through the center to keep the cake stable (cutting skewer if needed), frost the top layer somewhat generously and use what is left to lightly frost the sides, scraping off extra frosting.
- If you want raspberry jam between each layer just spread on top of frosting before adding another layer of cake
- Top with berries, serve!
MAY I PLEASE ASK A FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.